Wednesday, August 13, 2003

I was a California resident from 1979 to 1996, so I am watching with fascination the recall election. I hope this doesn't become routine in California or elsewhere, at the same time the process is in the law and if the people are dissatisfied enough to use it, I can't knock it.

Assuming the momentum to recall does not lose steam, it looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger is the likely winner. There are other possibilities, such as the Democrats holding together enough votes to elect Bustamante, or that conservatives rally around Simon, McClintock or someone else with enough votes for a plurality. (On the issues, I would be more aligned with the conservative candidates' views than what I've heard are Arnold's views.)

No matter who wins the Governors' office, there is still the heavily Democratic California Legislature which is often more out in left field than Gray Davis. A period of divided government may last, at least until the next general election.

Stay tuned for surprises. As the saying goes, "Only in California!"

No comments: